MTA Subway Sketch Series #1


What better way to pass the time on a long train than to draw all of the passengers on it? While long train rides do take a good portion of my day...about 3 hours to be exact I find that time goes a lot faster when I've found a model to draw from. I sit (or stand) with my sketchbook in hand and just doodle away at the people I see around. My attempt to be discreet has been failing me more and more as of late unfortunately.  It ends up with both my subject and I averting our eyes from each other's stares. Take the bald head gentlemen in the image. He was standing somewhere else completely when he noticed me. I looked the other way. Then when I looked back again he was looking to his right and then back at me when he noticed me staring again. I try not to laugh or smile, but it's hard to resist. Eventually the gentleman left when I then looked for another subject to draw.

Normally, people don't mind when they are being drawn. Some people do ask to see and I don't have a problem with that at all. I also get into interesting conversations with people. For example, just yesterday someone told me that I had a future with the CIA apparently. Go figure.

Comments