Fashion Fabric and Fold Studies

 Fabric folds are a daily struggle. Even if I understand the basics and that some things are consistent no matter the fabric type, it's still something I have problems with. So, every so often I do studies to try to capture whatever I am trying to draw. 

Four image preview of fabric studies


Ballerina holding up blue dress loose marks.
 
This was a ballerina holding up her blue dress. I was curious if I can capture the fabric of the dress and her as roughly as possible. It was an interesting exercise.  


Japanese woman in school uniform folding arms.

This is a woman in a Japanese school uniform. The blazers are a great reference to use and so are the pleated skirts. I was trying to do something a bit looser in terms of brushstrokes and was trying a much different type of brush from the ones I end up gravitating towards. I can't recall why I didn't finish this one...


Back of man holding up arms wearing a white tee.

This is a study from Wolfgang Tillman's "Anders, Hamburger Kunsthalle." I thought that the folds that the white tee made as he put up his arms seems like a nice challenge to take up. I was back and forth on whether or not to include the lines on the figure, but ended up keeping them on there. Next time!


Long red dress with lots of drapery

This is a Madame Grés dress from the mid 1960s-1970s that was featured at the Museum At FIT for their Yves Saint Laurent + Halston: Fashioning the 70s show in 2015. By the time I reached this one I decided it was time to ditch the outlines. The dress is very beautiful and I love the drapery. It was fun being able to capture all the various shades of the red dress. 

Comments