How to Draw a Comic Book Cover: Women in Comics Magazine Love Edition

I was given the opportunity to be a featured cover artist for the Women in Comics Quarterly Magazine where is available HERE and on Global Comix. Had a lot of fun coming up with concepts and working on the final below. 


Originally, I did a LOT of thumbnails and the below ended up being chosen!


As I was working on it I felt that I wanted a little bit more from the cover. I had been working on some isometric tutorials in Procreate so I decided to use the rulers to play with the angle of the scene.



Since I had a better idea of where I wanted to take this piece it was time to bring it back to Clip Studio Paint and work on a fully formed draft. 


It does look like a bit of a mess, but everything had been planned out. I work with a lots of colors so I am able to better work out the composition and placement of the figures and the environment that they are in. It's also easier to work with simple geometrical shapes during this time so that way it's easier to then sculpt them into what I need them to be.


These are the final pencils. I don't recall what happened to the booth or why I didn't include it. I assume that I worked it out in the previous draft so I was put all of my focus on the figures in the scene and the rest of the background so I wouldn't get confused. Some figures had to be reworked and a lot of reference had to be searched for everyone's outfits and looks, but overall I was pretty happy with the direction the piece was going in. Not sure if you noticed a reference that I made here to another particular comic with this.  I tried to make it not too noticeable, but enough.


Then it was time to move onto inks. Even though I had finished the pencils I still ended up making quite a few revisions. Nothing, too big though. It was nice to see it coming alive! Once the inks are finalized it's time to move onto colors. 


After working on flats, adjusting the colors, working out the light source, and some rendering the piece was done! It took a while to finish it, but it was very fun to work on. It's very exciting to see where the the artwork will evolve and end up even though I know I am the one working on it from start to finish! I also had to make sure that there was room for text and all the information that needs to be placed on the cover so all of the important parts of the illustration needs to be as centered as possible! I think that's the most important thing that needs to be considered and it should be taken into account when working out the compositions of the piece! 

If you want to check out the magazine. You can purchase it HERE



 












Comments