Digital Painting Studies Series #1: Portraits

Painting studies of 4 women.

2013 is the year of the Portfolio. So to kick things off I drew a piece that had about 14 figures in it. Then I realized something important: I was having issues executing the piece. Frustrated, my only option was to find a more efficient method to painting in Photoshop. Remembering a picture I had saved of someone practicing portraits, I decided to follow a similar path. Yet, taking it one step further than they did.

The goal is to get about 4 of these out p/week. As you can see there was a gap between the 3rd and 4th one. The first drawing of the 4th one looked like some weird alien so I had to redraw/repaint it. So far it's a nice exercise. It's also a great way of learning how to convey the various complexions and shades of people.

Completed in photoshop.

Comments